Menopause is derived from Greek words ‘menos’ (month) and ‘pausos’ (ending), which means the end of the monthly or menstrual cycle. This is also looked at as the end of the reproductive phase in a woman’s life.
Ayurveda looks at Menopause as Vata (space and air), Pitta (fire) or Kapha (water ad earth) related phases. Therefore the management would be according to the Dosha dominance and the aim is to get rid of excess of air, fire or water (earth) elements.
Symptoms: loss of sleep, insomnia, depression, osteoporosis, mood swings, dryness in the body, cold feeling, nervousness, anxiety, mild hot flashes, constipation, palpitations, bloating and joints aches.
- Warm food and drinks taken regularly, use as many spices as possible
- Avoid caffeine and other stimulants.
- Warm oil self massage with sesame seed oil.
- Sun salutations, shoulder stands, bridge pose, cobra pose, forward bend will be beneficial.
- Herbs like Triphala will help to regulate digestive system, Ashwagandha will help to calm down the mind, Garlic will help to get rid of coldness in the body, Shatavari helps to strengthen the reproductive system.
- Regular Ayurvedic treatments like Shirodhara, Pinda Sveda, Abhyanga are very beneficial.
Symptoms: extreme hot flushes, diarrhea, extreme hunger, night sweat, irritability, excess bleeding, acne, skin rashes, UTI, increased allergic reactions.
- Refreshing and cooling foods, sweet, bitter and astringent tasting food, warm yet relatively cooling spices like cumin, cardamom, saffron, coriander etc.
- Avoid excess alcohol and smoking.
- Use coconut and sesame oil along with ghee or clarified butter for massage.
- Yoga like Moon salutations, cooling breathing exercises like Chandrabheda (left nostril breathing), Shitali Pranayama will help. More moon salutations than sun salutations are suggested.
- Herbs like Triphala will help to regulate the digestive system, Shatavari helps to strengthen the reproductive system, Neem helps to get rid of heat, Guduchi helps in reducing the inflammation, Aloe Vera juice will help to prevent any irritability and sweating, Brahmi calms down the nervous system.
Symptoms: over weight, obesity, general weight gain, lethargy, tiredness, slow actions, retention of fluid, mucus accumulation, digestion becomes slow, toxin accumulation,
- Light, dry, spicy and warm food. Take more of spicy, bitter and astringent foods. Hot food should be consumed.
- Avoid foods like yogurt, excess dairy products, excess of cold liquid intake.
- Weekly fasting is very beneficial.
- Massages with hot sesame oil or a combination of sesame and mustard oil is good.
- Regular yoga practice with plenty of sun salutations, warrior pose, tree pose, dancers pose Herbs like Triphala, Trikatu will help get rid of tiredness and lethargy, Guggulu will help toward regulating weight, Turmeric helps to get rid of excess fluids in the body, Pippali will help stimulate the appetite and digestion, Aloe Vera juice or gel, other spices like cinnamon, cardamom, cayenne, and black pepper are also beneficial.