According to Ayurveda depression is predominantly a Vata imbalance. But it may show symptoms of Vata (space and air), Pitta (Fire) or Kapha (water and earth) Doshas. Vata dominates many emotions and in depression there is accumulation of emotional toxins – Ama. Therefore the main aim first is to eliminate the toxins.
- Ginger lemon tea in the morning after drinking a glass of warm water.
- Steamed vegetables and soups regularly
- Mung beans soup regularly
- ½ a teaspoonful of grated ginger, lemon juice, honey and black pepper 15 minutes before meals.
- Plenty of herbal teas with Ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel.
- Triphala at bedtime.
- Avoid faulty food combinations like fruit and dairy and meat and dairy
- Fasting once a week
After having followed the above detox for a while then the following Ayurvedic therapies will help a lot:
- Whole body oil Abhyanga
- Udvartana – Ayurvedic herbal scrub massage
- Ayurvedic Abdominal Massage
- Pinda Sveda: Ayurvedic Warm Herbal Bolus/Poultice treatment
The following herbs are known in Ayurveda to help in depression. These herbs are best taken after the above detox plan
- Turmeric is known to further get rid of toxins and strengthen the mind
- Brahmi (Bacopa monniera) is known as a nerve tonic in Ayurveda therefore will help towards calming and strengthening the mind
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is also known to help alleviate anxiety and nervousness and induce a feeling of grounding.
- Plenty of sun salutations followed by moon salutations
- More dynamic yoga practice will help in this condition
- Tratak meditation (candle light meditation) helps to get rid of excess dry heat and activity from the mind and will help towards sound sleep
- Breathing exercises like Kapalabhati followed by alternate nostril breathing
- It would be best that each yoga session is followed by an Ayurvedic oil therapy such as Abhyanga or Udvartana.
Before sleeping, apply rose water pads to the eyes and to the face as this will help to get rid of excess heat and restlessness and help towards deep sleep
Likewise, massage your feet with warm sesame seed oil and then soak them in hot water every night. This simple technique will also help a lot
Make sure never to eat alone and have alcohol alone as much as possible. Always have company while eating and consuming alcohol. Ayurveda has always said that when the mind is restless/sad/depressed, one should not be alone but in the company of family and friends. As this will help to get rid of emotional toxins through talking and expressing their emotions.