PCOS is a condition that affects the ovaries causing cysts to grow in them which lead to further signs and symptoms. These are abnormal body hair, acne, infertility, weight gain, irregular periods, and potential diabetes. According to Ayurveda Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is due a combination of toxins along with excess Kapha blocking Vata and Pitta. Based on the Doshas involved, the symptoms may vary as follows:
Excess Vata: painful and irregular periods, weight loss, coldness in the body, infertility
Excess Pitta: hair loss, acne, heavy periods with clots
Excess Kapha: weight gain, infertility, excess body hair, potential diabetes, infertility
The main aim is to get rid of toxins and remove excess Doshas.
Food and diet:
- Strictly avoid faulty food combinations of fruit and dairy, meat & dairy, fish & dairy.
- Avoid cold foods like cheese, yogurt, cold juices, ice creams in the evening.
- Regular intake of Cinnamon with honey will help to prevent diabetes
- Mung beans to be taken on a regular basis
- Chyawanprash in hot water is very beneficial
- Regukar intake of ginger lemon tea or any herbal tea with saffron
- Include spices like turmeric, fenugreek, cinnamon, cardamom in food while cooking
Massage: (these massages are to be avoided when periods appear)
- Abdominal massages followed by castor oil packs
- Udvartana: ayurvedic herbal scrub massages help to get rid of excess toxins and stimulates the digestive fire and helps to regulate the endocrine system
- Marma massage for the whole body
- Shirodhara with Pitta reducing oil is greatly beneficial
- Purgation with castor oil once every 2 months helps to get rid of all the excess doshas and heat from the body.
- Triphala not only gets rid of toxins but also helps to regulate the Doshas.
- Turmeric helps to prevent any recurrent infections and bouts of tiredness.
- Regular intake of aloe vera juice or gel will help
- Pippali also called as long pepper helps to strengthen the immune system therefore preventing any secondary ailments
- Regular sun salutations followed by moon salutations, every morning
- Specific yoga poses like: camel pose, shoulder stand, fish pose, half spinal twist, forward bend and half moon pose.
- Warming breathing exercises like kapalabhati (cleansing breath), bhastrika (breath of fire) surya bheda (right nostril breathing).
- Aim is to avoid food for at least an hour after yoga practice. Instead drink plenty of herbal teas.
- Classically Ayurveda recommends Panchakarma which is its signature detox therapy helps to prevent any further damage due to PCOS like infertility