Each Dosha in the body represents certain emotions of the heart. Vata represents communication, enthusiasm, interest and initiation. Pitta represents passion, commitment and focus. Kapha represents flexibility, stability, patience and understanding.
According to Ayurveda, Heart is also a marma or energy point holding emotions
Ayurveda strongly stresses upon nourishing these positive emotions and energies to prevent any imbalances or excess of the Doshas.
Be it high blood pressure or a history of cardiac failure or simply a weak heart, the following measures will really help to improve any heart related conditions.
- Avoid excess of salty, spicy and sour foods.
- Concentrate more on bitter and astringent flavours.
- Avoid combinations of fruit and dairy as toxins produced via them may block the arterials and venous channels.
- Almonds soaked in warm water
- Buttermilk with cumin seeds and coriander leaves after every meal
- Fenugreek seeds soaked in water overnight, when taken in the morning is known to have improved heart conditions.
- Ayurveda talks about a wonderful oil therapy to the heart called as the Hridaya Basti. During this extremely calming therapy a gentle massage is given over the heart region and followed by gentle pouring of warm oil into a circular ring, made of dough over the heart chakra and massaged.
- Shirodhara: Ayurvedic Forehead oil Therapy, helps to reduce high blood pressure and improves stress related conditions.
Rose for the heart:
- Rose has been associated with love since time immemorial. But in Ayurveda Rose is one of the best herbs for heart relates ailments.
- Ayurveda widely talks about use of Rose. It is known for its soothing, sweet and astringent qualities and cardio tonic properties which help to strengthen heart functions.
- If you suffer from high blood pressure, apply rose water pack to the eyes. This helps to get rid of excess heat from the eyes, therefore from the body and helps to maintain blood pressure.
- Gulkand or also known as rose petal jam is an age old recipe used in many Indian households. This is made by layering organic red rose petals in a wide mouthed jar. This is then closed with an airtight lid and left under gentle sunlight for a few days. One can also add spices like cardamom, cinnamon to this jam mix. This is highly recommended for people suffering from any heart related conditions.
- One of the best herbs for the heart is saffron. A simple saffron tea everyday will help to relieve any cardiac stresses and also helps to stimulate the immune system.
- Arjuna is another herb of choice for heart related conditions including high blood pressure.
- If there is heart condition which also involves cholesterol, Guggul works really well.
- For people suffering from congestion and water retention Triphala is a really good herb
- Brahmi is a very good herb to calm down the cardiovascular and nervous system therefore ensuring good nights sleep and lowered blood pressure.
Prana for Heart
- Prana or oxygen is the food for healthy, balanced emotions and healthy tissues.
- Calming breathing exercises like alternative nostril breathing and right nostril breathing help to regulate Vata Dosha, therefore regulating low blood pressure, palpitations, breathlessness.
- Refreshing Pranayama like cooling breath exercise and left nostril breathing regulates Pitta Dosha in the body, thereby helping in high blood pressure and stress related heart conditions.
- Reenergising Pranayama like cleansing breath exercise and breath of fire help to regulate Kapha therefore eliminating states of excess cholesterol leading to heart conditions.