Ayurveda sees weight gain as a Kapha disorder (overabundance of water and earth) with a weak digestive fire. Consumed food is not digested leading to toxin formation in the body. As a result most of it is being stored away as fat, which leads to weight gain.
- Chyawanprash, an ayurvedic food supplement containing 46 herbs is highly recommended in Ayurveda. Simply mix in 1 table spoon of this jam in cup of hot water and take it 2 -3 times over the day.
- Triphala, an ayurvedic herb combination, helps to eliminate toxins and excess fat from the body.
- Guggul is an Ayurvedic resin and is considered to be an excellent herb that gently scrapes these toxins and fat from the digestive system allowing proper digestion, absorption and assimilation of nutrients.
- or save money and go with Ayurveda Pura’s Get Fit Kit, which includes all of the above and more!
- Avoid food intake during Kapha times which is between 6am & 10am and 6pm & 10pm. Either completely avoid food at these times or avoid cold, heavy sweet foods during this time of the day.
- Consume approximately 1.5 litres of water everyday. One should also remember that this water should be warm or hot. It is best to drink plain warm/hot water.
- Favour hot spices such as cumin, coriander, cardamom, fennel, fenugreek, turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, etc. do not hesitate to spice up your food.
- Drink plenty of herbal teas especially ginger and lemon tea. Always finish your meal by drinking a cup of ginger lemon tea 10 minutes later. This helps to strengthen the digestive process and prevents slowing down of the metabolism.
- Concentrate on tastes like spicy, bitter and astringent which improve the metabolism and avoid sweet, sour, salty tastes.
- Keep yourself as mobile as possible. One must move every 40 minutes to keep the circulation, bones, joints muscles etc active and fit.
- At least 6 sun salutations everyday followed by positions like the Warrior, Half moon, Camel, Bow, Wheel, Tree, Dancer, Chair are very beneficial for controlling weight.
- Follow the poses with breathing exercises like Cleansing Breath, Breath of Fire, Right Nostril Breathing.
- Ayurvedic massages would include Udvartana with dry herbal powders with some oil helps to get rid excess toxins and fat.
- Ayurvedic Abdominal massage, a non-invasive massage technique to the abdomen that helps to tone the abdominal organs and assists in weight loss around the stomach area.
IMPORTANT KEYS TO REMEMBER:
Do not attempt to lose weight all at once. One needs persistence and patience, and a little consistently is always better than a lot all at once – it is much likelier to persist this way, as well!
If you are suffering from other conditions along with over-weight, please consult an Ayurvedic practitioner.