Ayurveda looks at liver as a Pitta Dosha organ. Once the food undergoes digestion in the stomach, it is then sent to the liver for further digestion. The liver also holds the digestive capacity of all the five elements: space, air, fire, water, earth. Therefore in Ayurveda we give immense importance to liver and its healthy status. When the heat in the body increases, the liver will be the first organ to be affected.
Keeping the liver healthy and functioning normally is an essential element towards a healthy and prolonged life.
- Avoid all foods that increase heat or pitta in the body
- Avoid excess of spicy, salty and sour foods as they increase heat
- Favour tastes like natural sweets, bitter and astringent
- Avoid excess alcohol, spicy oily foods and smoking
- Aloe vera is a very good liver cleanser. This can be taken as juice or gel
- Anything that is green is bitter. Therefore all green salads are very good for the liver
- Raisins soaked in water are also very good for the liver
- Buttermilk with cumin powder also helps to remove heat from the liver
One of the best herbs known for its liver cleansing properties is Triphala. When taken on a regular basis it helps to remove the negative effects of alcohol on the liver. Ayurveda Pura Detox Mix is the best for such cleansing effects.
Turmeric is another well known anti inflammatory herb that is taken to strengthen the liver functions.
Neem is not only good for the skin but for the liver too. It helps to purify the blood and therefore supports the functions of the liver.
Regular Foot Massages will help to remove the excess heat from the liver.
Some Marma points or energy points that will help to strengthen the liver are: right knee, mid point on the forearms, points over the temple region, mid point of the wrists. These points can be massaged everyday in a circular fashion. Commence with anti clockwise circular strokes which are detoxifying followed by clock wise circular strokes which are nourishing. The best oil to use would be pure sesame seed oil. Alternatively coconut oil can also be used.
Abdominal Massages are also very good to help cleanse the liver.
Cleansing: regular purgation with castor oil will help to cleanse the liver and get rid of excess heat and toxins from this organ. Regular monthly fasting will give a break to liver and will help it to rejuvenate.
- All poses that help to tone the abdominal organs are good.
- Forward bends, knee to chest pose help to massages and tone the liver.
- Cobra pose, fish pose, wheel pose also help to strengthen the liver.
- Moon salutations will help to remove excess heat
- Breathing exercises best for the liver are cooling breath exercise, alternate nostril breathing and left nostril breathing.